Although I usually blog weekly, we’re doing things a little differently this week to link into The Vegetarian Society‘s National Vegetarian Week in the UK (15-21 May 2017). So, look out for a recipe a day for the next 7 days – every one suitable for Vegetarians and every one making great use of Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
Let’s start off with Chocolate Brownies because, why the heck not and I bet you’ve never made them with EVOO before. So, here we go with a recipe from Virgin Territory, Exploring the World of Olive Oil by Nancy Harmon Jenkins who is widely reported to be the American authority on olive oil.
Chocolate Brownies with EVOO
Unsalted butter to grease a 20cm (8”) square tin (or 23cm/9” round) (I used EVOO)
125g (4oz) dark chocolate – at least 70% cocoa
⅓ cup fruity olive oil (I used a light blend from a local co-operative)
2 large eggs
¾ cup sugar
1/2 cup all purpose flour (Plain to us Brits)
2tsp Vanilla extract (Oops, didn’t have any so I used Almond)
1 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (Gas 4) and butter the cake tin.
- Break the chocolate into small pieces in an ovenproof bowl and put into the preheating oven to melt (or a microwave but be careful not to burn it). When completely soft, combine with the olive oil, beating with a fork to mix thoroughly then leave to cool. The aroma as the oil hits the warm chocolate is fab.
- Beat the eggs until they are thick and foamy, then beat in the sugar ¼ cup at a time. When the sugar is thoroughly combined stir in the cool chocolate mixture with a spatula or wooden spoon – do not beat.
- Using a rubber spatula, stir in the flour, vanilla and walnuts. Spread the mixture into the tin and place in the preheated oven.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until the edges start to pull away from the pan.
- Remove from the oven and set on a wire rack to cool completely before cutting into 16-20 squares.
If you make these, send me a photo and tell me what you think. You can connect via Facebook: The Olive Oil Taster; Twitter: @TasteOliveOil; Instagram: Karen Ormiston; Pinterest: KarenO theoliveoiltaster